This is the first of two paintings I had on hold until I decided where I wanted to go with them. Initially it looked like this:
But I was unhappy with the background and I didn't like how perfectly symmetrical the tulips were, especially the red one.....backgrounds are usually the hardest part of painting for me. This one has been more colors than I care to admit! Anyway, after studying it for awhile, I knew I wanted to add more leaves into the background and I wanted to change the red tulip to a red flame tulip. So, that's what I did, and I like it MUCH better now! The flame tulip has that asymmetrical feel that I love about parrot tulips and it offers a bit more interest to the overall composition.
So that's one of two that I wanted to rework and then I'll be ready to start something new. Of course, since posting the image for my next painting, one of my "free" spirited ladies has popped up in my head and is rather insistently begging to be put at the top of the queue......so who knows what my next piece willbe. Maybe I'll let Inspiration Avenue's next challenge decide for me!
Toodles for now,