Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

And so the art classes have begun.....

Watercolor Explorations.....
Yesterday was the first day of my art classes, and we had SO much fun!  I'd remembered being thrilled by the amusing things that get said in class, but there's nothing like living it!  We had robot impersonations, talk about drawing blindfolded (their interpretation of blind contours) and so much more!

We started by exploring with watercolor washes and adding salt to see what would happen.....






Played with my watercolor pencils doing wet on wet, dry on wet and dry on dry with added water......they were amazed at the possibilities- I was too!

I wish I gotten pictures of them doing their blind contours- I always enjoy their disbelief when I tell them what we're going to do and when it turns out as wonderful as I knew it would.....ah well, maybe next time.

Our first "serious" project featured this beautiful orchid- that's what they did the contour drawings of- first small in their sketchbooks and then HUGE- the paper's almost as big as they are!
 pay attention to the shapes of everything- the petals, the leaves those swirly roots.......
 everyone's SO focused
 
 drawing big and tall- make that flower FILL the paper!

So for next week, they will go over their contour drawings heavily with white oil pastel and paint them with a watercolor resist- this is one of my all time favorite projects- it always turns out so beautiful for everyone!
Cheers,
Stephanie

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I was amazed at the detail in my daughter's drawing! Thanks so much!

Maggie said...

Oh, these lucky kids! I'm sure they will always remember what fun they had, and who knows which of them may become lifelong artists!

Jaime Haney said...

I love to see children create. It is such a shame that art classes have been reduced or even cut out totally in our schools.

Stephanie you are a blessing :)

p.s. I'd love to know about this all time favorite project, how do I do it?